It can be exciting and tempting to flaunt your new look after breast augmentation, but plastic surgery is just the first step towards getting your desired shape. Aside from getting your breast augmentation done by the best surgeon, the recovery period serves as a crucial moment during which your body heals.
It is important that patients are mindful of the precautionary measures that they should do during the recovery period after the surgery. This is to ensure they have the best results and minimize the risk of complications. Here, we share some do’s and don’ts of your breast augmentation recovery.
DO’S After Breast Augmentation Treatment
- Massage your breasts daily. This is an essential part of your recovery period as it gently helps to moves your implants into place to make it look soft and more natural. It also helps prevent capsular contracture, a complication of breast plastic surgery in which the tissues around your implants hardens.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle. Eat healthy foods and practice good health habits to recover quickly.
- Sleep on your back in a semi-inclined position. Sleeping flat on your back puts pressure on your chest and may cause injury; while sleeping on your side may deform your implants.
- Wear a surgical or sports bra. To protect your breast tissues, your breasts need to be well-supported for at least 6 weeks after surgery.
DON’TS After Breast Augmentation Treatment
- No vigorous activities (yet). Don’t run, jump, lift or carry, push or pull anything heavy in the first few weeks after your boob job.
- Don’t wear an underwire bra. Wires can irritate the sensitive breast tissue and prevent the implants from settling. Consult your surgeon and ask when is the best time for you to switch back to your regular bras.
- Don’t worry about scarring. It is perfectly normal for scars to appear. Just give it time to fade away.
- Don’t get your wounds wet. Avoid immersing your scars in water for approximately 6 weeks. Baths are not really advised, but as long as the wounds are not excessively wet and are completely dry, it should be fine.
NOTE: It is still recommended that you visit your Belo doctor once in a while for post-surgery check-ups. Call 819-BELO (2356) or click here to schedule an appointment.